Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Week in the Life: Tuesday

Here's a Tuesday in our school:

9:00:  The kids were enjoying watching morning Winter Olympic coverage, and I was dragging my heels, so we got started half an hour later than planned.

My daughter and I started on the couch while her brother read a little and played with Legos in his room.  On the couch, we went through this week's Classical Conversations memory work, she said the history timeline up to "The Seven Years' War", we practiced "The Duke of Plaza Toro" (a poem by W.S. Gilbert), and she read Flicka, Ricka, Dicka and a Little Dog aloud to me.

We moved to the desk, where she did a lesson from RightStart, Level B on number patterns.  We followed that with a lesson on abbreviations of titles of respect (Mr., Mrs., etc) from First Language Lessons, Level 1.  I introduced the third sound of the letter A, stressing that it often occurs before two L's and after a W, using Level 2 of All About Spelling.

It was a milestone of sorts today, because she started the first lesson in Writing With Ease Workbook 2.  From that, she did narration and copywork from an Aesop fable.

10:00 (or thereabout):  It was my son's turn.  He started on the couch doing the exact work as his sister except he read two chapters from The Tale of Despereaux to me instead of Flicka, Ricka, Dicka.

He, too, moved to the desk next, and practiced cursive by copying this week's Classical Conversations history sentence from Prescripts Cursive Sentences and Art Lessons: Medieval to Modern World History and completed a dictation exercise out of Writing With Ease, Workbook 3.  Next, he did a lesson on plural nouns from First Language Lessons, Level 3.  I dictated and he wrote 12 "wor" and certain "rule-breaking" words from All About Spelling, Level 4.  Finally, he did a lesson on division within a group out of RightStart, Level D.

We then took a short break for lunch, which lasted about 20 minutes.

12:30ish:  I read to them Esther chapter 3 and "Why the Sea is Salt" from The Blue Fairy Book.  Next, like yesterday, they each practiced their violin in succession.  Then we took a longer break in which they watched TV and I rested.

2:15:  We went to our respective rooms for Room Time.  They're supposed to read or listen to books on CD, but I don't monitor this too closely.

3:00:  I read to them from Story of the World, Volume 2 on Japan's Samurai.  My son narrated a summary of this selection to me, which I wrote down to include in his notebook.  We followed this with an oral lesson and experiments on infrared and ultraviolet light from Science in the Beginning.  As the last act of bookish learning for the day, my daughter did another RightStart lesson (also on number patterns) while my son spent 20 minutes on DreamBox.

At 6, my husband took the kids to basketball practice....P.E., you know.

Right now, I'm getting off the computer to read to my son from The Wheel on the School.  Then it's off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment