Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Week in the Life: Thursday

Our typical week got turned on its ear by a little rescheduling.  It wasn't a typical Thursday, but we got it all done.

7:45:  The kids' violin lessons got moved up from 1:30 to 9:00, so we practiced at home much earlier than usual and were in the car by 8:35 for two half-hour lessons, in which they each played some Suzuki music, traditional Irish music, and the Star-Spangled banner.

My son finished a book he was reading, The Sleeping Giant of Goll, during his sister's lesson.

We practiced their Classical Conversations memory work on the drive to and from lessons.

10:30:  By 10:30 my daughter and I were back on the green couch.  She read two more stories from George and Martha aloud to me.  Then it was to the desk once again, where we applied some of the rules regarding fractions, specifically quarters, to money using RightStart, Level B.  She wrote three phrases and three sentences I dictated to her from All About Spelling, Level 2.  We also discussed capitalization rules in poetry and titles using guidance from First Language Lessons, Level 1.  Finally, she summarized another Aesop fable, which I wrote down and then dictated back to her.

Next, it was my son's turn.  He finished reading to me the final two chapters from The Tale of Despereaux and copied the Classical Conversations history sentence again in cursive.

We took a break for lunch.

1:00:  We resumed our deskwork.  He wrote a long passage I dictated to him from Writing With Ease, Level 3.  He also wrote five shorter sentences that I dictated to him from All About Spelling, Level 4.  He completed a lesson from First Language Lessons, Level 3 on changing words ending in y to their plural form.  Finally, he did another lesson focusing on division from RightStart, Level D.

We all took a break until 2:45.

3:00:  Both kids participated in their weekly hour-long gymnastics class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment