Thursday, March 10, 2011

Preschool

My four year-old wants to 'do school.'  If only her brother shared her enthusiasm!  I don't really want to teach her to read until I'm sure she's developmentally ripe.  She's not quite ready.  If I ask what 'mom' starts with, for example, she may say "/m/, /m/, /m/....S!'  If you show her a letter, though, she can usually say what sound it makes.  For instance, if she sees 'mom' written down, she can identify the "m" and say that it says /m/.

Ready or not, I'm not going to rush things as I did for her brother.

To keep her happy, we're going to 'do school' in a simple way.  My inspiration is going to be the "Read to Me and ABC" program at Walking by the Way.  I'm going to use her idea and pull a letter related to a book we're reading and do an activity related to it.  The activity may be as simple as doing a scrapbook page related to the letter and the book.  It will all depend on how well inspiration strikes.  I'll use different books than she did, based on what we have on hand or what corresponds to my son's schooling.

We kicked off the plan today by reading Inch by Inch by Leo Lionni.  The letter is "I" for "inchworm".
Inch by Inch


Here's our scrapbook page using Lionni's illustrations as inspiration.




I think next week will be the letter "C" for "carrot"  using The Carrot Seed as our read-aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment