Thursday, May 29, 2014

I'm Looking Over...Clover


Oh, what a beautiful morning here in Oklahoma.  In this state, there may not be a better time to spend out of doors than a morning in May a few days after a three-inch rain.

I have spent the last hour and a half hunched over a row of onions carefully removing clover from between the bulging bulbs.  Earlier this spring, we got another truckload of horse manure from our cowboy friend.  I'm happy to report that Mr. Forrest's horses are frolicking in fields of clover.  The clover has been reconstituted and iswas  thriving in our little garden.

Gardening is so great for so many reasons.  Not least among them is the happiness to be gained from sticking your fingers in soil that gets compacted under your finger nails.  Removing clover plant after clover plant really gets that Art Mooney song playing in my head.  My mom used to play it on the piano.

Anyway, we got the onions planted a little too close to get a hoe between.  Since they weren't easy to get to, I'd pretty much yielded to the weeds until I saw my dad's Missouri garden this week.  He's roughly twice my age with a garden 20 times as big and there was hardly a weed to be seen in the entire thing.  It shamed me..

Fortunately, it got me digging in the dirt...a by-product of which is pure joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment