Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pumpkin Eater

When it comes to Thanksgiving desserts, I say, 'Please pass the pecan.'

I'm not a big pumpkin pie girl.  I am a fan of the pumpkin roll, though, and I always look forward to my mom's pumpkin bread.  This fall I expanded my pumpkin horizons as I kept coming across pumpkin recipes that really did appeal to me.  I tried out several of them, all of which were well received.

In October, I served up this pumpkin sheet cake at a potluck.  Now, hostesses and fellow dessert-bearers do not take kindly to jelly roll pans that take up 150 square inches of prime counter space, and the logistics of getting a large pan oozing with cream cheese frosting to the counter without a mess are challenging to say the least.  However, the cake itself was a hit and women were clamoring for the recipe.

Next up was this pumpkin spice granola.  This past year, I started making homemade granola in an attempt at healthier eating.  Ever since, I've been keeping an eye out for granola alternatives.  Although, with two and a half cups of puffed rice cereal and three fourths cup of brown sugar, this hardly qualifies as healthful, it is good.

Third, for my sweet husband's birthday, I made up pumpkin muffins from my favorite baking book, Baking:  From My Home to Yours.  A book that's full of great recipes and fun to read.

Baking: From My Home to Yours


The little sun flower seeds on top of these muffins absolutely charm me.  The pureed pumpkin, raisons and sun flower seeds give these muffins a decidedly wholesome quality.



Last were these delicious Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies.  I love that Annie and her recipes.  I've run across a couple of versions of cookies containing oatmeal, cranberries, and white chocolate chips this years (on the back of the Craisons bag, for example).  This is the only recipe I've seen that also includes pumpkin.  These were extremely moist.  I prefer a moist cookie over a crunchy one.  My family also loved them.  That is, until my son found out that the white things were chocolate chips.  He has recently decided he doesn't like chocolate.  I'm sure he'll come to his senses.


No comments:

Post a Comment