Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Week 8, Adventure on the High Seas

One of the best parts of Classical Conversations is the weekly presentation.  Each week the children get in front of their class and give a presentation that can range from a simple 'show and tell' to a persuasive speech.  The class tutor picks the topics.  This year, my kindergartner has given 'speeches' on raccoons, tropical rain forests, and Leonardo Da Vinci....fairly heady topics for a six year old.  

For week 8, he was to give a few facts about a famous explorer from our Classical Conversations week 8 history sentence.  Our history sentence for week 8 was about five different explorers during the golden age of exploration.  My son picked Ferdinand Magellan.

We got information from Magellan from this book, which was the best I could find at our library for the kindergarten level:
Land Ho! Fifty Glorious Years in the Age of Exploration
The story of Magellan includes mutiny, shipwreck, slimy water, sawdust consumption and poisonous spears--titillating topics for a six year old.

I copied a few illustrations from the book, which he colored to use as visual aids:

The only ship to complete the journey


Magellan's Route

My husband, an exceptional public speaker himself, is in charge of getting him prepared for Monday's presentation.  Unfortunately, neither of us gets to see the end result because my husband works, and I tutor another class.  However, I'm sure he does fine if he doesn't go into silly mode (a big "if").  He's not at the self-conscious stage.  

I'm confident this weekly public speaking practice will serve him well in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment